Life and Times of Emily

A running journal of what is going on in the exciting life of Emily (and her rookie parents)

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The words of a preschooler

There are SO many precious things Emily says these days. It makes me sad that I cannot remember them long enough to get them on the blog. I have managed to store these away for a few hours so I could share.

Rain, rain, go away
It has been raining here for days on end, and everyone is getting tired of it. We've had multiple conversations about why it's raining and how only God can make it stop. Today at breakfast:
E: Is it still raining?
A: 'Fraid so.
E: Why won't God make it stop?
A: I don't know, sweetheart.
E: I think God just needs to shout REAL loud and make it stop. He could do that.
A: You think that would work?
E: Yep, it would. Our plants do need any more drinks right now.

Fashion advice
Later this morning as we finished getting ready:
A: (I slipped on my black shoes, already wearing some gray dress slacks)
E: Momma, your shoes don't match!
A: Well, I don't have any gray shoes. It's ok to wear black shoes with gray pants.
E: But you do have gray shoes (running to get them)...your running shoes are gray!
A: (speechless, but thinking) So true and how I would love to wear them to work.

TP Shopping
Sunday I took Emily to the grocery store with me, setting the stage for these words of wisdom on the toilet paper aisle:
E: Momma, let's get the pink kind (pointing to a brand with pink packaging)
A: No, that's not the kind I want.
E: But pink is my favorite color!
A: (desperate for an out) Well, the pink kind costs too much.
E: Well, we can just go to the bank and get some more money! They have money there.
I guess its good that she understands money goes to the bank, but we'll have to learn that you don't just drive by and get some every time you want something like pink toilet paper!

Late Night Christmas Karaoke
A while back I mentioned how we are working on breaking the thumb-sucking habit. Emily has done well, but bedtime is still a challenge. Last night she was almost asleep when I checked on her and found a wet thumb. I encouraged her to put her hands under her pillow and go to sleep. Back in the den watching TV with Jeff, we heard a commotion from her room. When Jeff muted the TV, we heard...
"You better watch out, you better not pout, Santa Claus is coming to town..."
Once we stopped laughing, we decided to ignore the concert, and 5 minutes later she was sound asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home